Question 1


Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child's difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability (SEND)?


The Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo/Inclusion Manager) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/ Individual Education Plans (Support Plans), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term. Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on school's provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school's SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The SENDCo – name: Mrs F. Lynn (Acting SENDCO - Miss A. Blake)

Responsible for:

  • Developing and reviewing the school's SEND policy
  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are
  1. involved in supporting your child's learning
  2. kept informed about the support your child is getting
  3. involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into to school to help support your child's learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc.
  • Updating the school's SEND register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child's progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Interim Headteacher – name: Mrs S. Nordstrom 

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Headteacher will give responsibility to the SENDCo/Inclusion Manager and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child's needs are met.
  • The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The Achievement Governor (ncluding SEND) – name: Mrs K Todd

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child who attends the school, who has SEND.
  • Liaising with school on a regular basis to ensure that she is aware of the SEN processes and systems that Mrs Lynn has implemented.

School contact telephone number : 0191 553 6190


Question 2

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our school?

a) Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learningor involve using more practical resources.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn for example specific group work Intervention which may be:
  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or a Teaching Assistant (TA).
  • Your child's teacher will have carefully checked on your child's progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g .Speech and Language therapy
SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)
This means they have been identified by the SENDCo/ class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g . a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support
This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are, severe, complex and lifelong.
This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching.
This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups ("Including All Children" documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:
Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service
For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child's needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the 'Panel of Professionals' (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child's needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child's needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the 'Panel of Professionals' will decide if your child's needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

Question 3


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child's progress in school?


If you have concerns about your child's progress you should speak to your child's class teacher initially.
If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/ Disabilities Coordinator (SENDCo).


Question 4


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child's learning in school?


If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have plan any additional support your child may need discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child's learning

Question 5


How is extra support allocated to children and how do they progress in their learning?


The school budget, received from Sunderland LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school. Parents views will be sought when writing targets.
  • The Head Teacher and the SENDCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:

◦the children getting extra support already
◦the children needing extra support
◦the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected and decide what resources/training and support is needed.
◦the child's view will be sought informally and for review meetings; this may not always be possible with very young children / children with delayed development.

  • Schools identify the needs of their pupils on a school provision map which for SEND pupils identifies all resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Question 6


Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in this school?

School provision

  • Teaching Assistants / Learning Support
  • Higher Level Teaching Assistant
  • Breakfast club / After school club
  • School clubs

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • KS1 & KS2 Behaviour Intervention Team
  • Language and Learning Team

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school.
  • School Nurse
  • Health Visitor
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy

Question 7

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children a SEND and what training do they have?

The SENDCO'S job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEND.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEND. This includes whole school training on SEND issues such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g. from the Autism Outreach Team (AoT) service.
  • We are a Makaton Friendly school with two members of staff trained to deliver training sessions to parents and other members of staff.

Question 8


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child's needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child's learning needs.


Question 9


How will we measure the progress of your child in school?


Your child's progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher.

  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term in reading, writing and numeracy via a termly report.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of EYFS and Year 2) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Children may have a Support Plan / personal targets which will be reviewed, and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review, with all adults involved with the child's education.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Children in Year 1 (and on occasion Year 2) complete a national phonics screening test in June.
  • Children entering Year 1 are teacher assessed at the start of the academic year which provides a baseline entry level for the Key Stage.
  • PIVATS assessment tool may be used for children if it is felt that other assessment tools are too expansive to show progress. PIVATs have smarter more manageable targets to show children's progress.

Question 10


What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with a SEND?


The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Personal progress targets/Support Plans will be reviewed with your involvement.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child's individual needs.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.
  • A parent booklet and information gathering form is shared with all new parents to their school in order to gain an in depth knowledge about the care and support that your child has benefited from, currently receiving or may need in the future.
  • School will host regular multi-professional meetings.

Question 11

How is New Silksworth Infant School accessible to children with SEND?


The building is accessible for children with SEND via:

  • ramps at the main entrance
  • lift for access to the lower ground floor hall
  • accessible toilet and changing facilities
  • Designated and fully trained staff to administer medication
  • A nursery setting on one level

We ensure, where ever possible, that:

  • Equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After school provision is accessible to all children including those with SEND.
  • Extra curricular activities are accessible for children with SEND

Question 12


How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?


We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.
If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • We encourage visits to your child's new school and where possible a member of staff will visit the new setting with you and your child

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Support Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
  • School will host a whole school transition day so that children will meet their new teacher in their new classroom

In Year 2:
The vast majority of our children attend New Silksworth Junior School. The SENDCO will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCO of their Junior school.

  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Staff from New Silksworth Junior school and possibly other schools, will visit your child in their classroom and participate in lessons in Summer Term.
  • Where needed your child will visit their new school on several occasions with support from staff in our school.

Question 13


What Emotional and Social Development support we have for a child with a SEND?


We recognise that pupils with SEND may well have Emotional and Social Developmental needs that will require support in school.

  • The Emotional Health and Well being of all our pupils is very important to us.
  • We have a robust Safeguarding Policy in place, we follow National & LA Guidelines (see Keeping Children Safe In Education Document).
  • We have a robust Pastoral Care Discipline Policy in place.
  • Parenting Programmes and family session are offered in school via our children's centre activity room including Baby Massage and Time for Rhyme.




The school adopts the Local Authority Admissions policy. Where a child or young person has SEN but does not have an EHC plan they must be educated in a mainstream setting except in specific circumstances (see below).
The School Admissions Code of Practice requires children and young people with SEN to be treated fairly. Admissions authorities:

  • must consider applications from parents of children who have SEN who do not have an EHC plan on the basis of the school's published admissions criteria as part of normal admissions procedures
  • must not refuse to admit a child who has SEN but does not have an EHC plan because they do not feel able to cater for those needs
  • must not refuse to admit a child on the grounds that they do not have an EHC plan